Homemade veggie burgers can be wonderful, but it’s tough to get the consistency just right. Instead of making the desired dense patty that sticks together, recipes for veggie (and especially vegan) burgers have a tendency to produce patties that crumble.
The secret binding powers in this vegetarian dish are egg and bread crumbs, which provide a firm hold and hearty flavor. The cheese also brings a sharp taste, while cumin adds an unexpected yet delicious twist. (For vegan patties, replace the egg with a flax egg and the cheese with nutritional yeast.)
- 10-12Swiss chard stalks
- 1egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1green bell pepper, chopped
- 1small white onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Place chard in a steamer and steam for 20 minutes. Chop into small pieces.
- Place all ingredients except oil into a large bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste, and fold together until evenly mixed.
- With clean hands, form mixture into patties about 3 to 4 inches wide and 1/2 inch thick.
- Add olive oil to a hot pan and cook patties for 3 to 4 minutes on each side.