This is one of those recipes in which you throw everything into a casserole dish, refrigerate, bake, and voila! French Toast Strata, a special occasion breakfast or brunch centerpiece.
The hardest part may be remembering to mix the ingredients ahead of time so you can refrigerate the dish between 2 hours and overnight.
The easiest part? Savoring the sweet results.
- Yields: 12 servings
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 55 mins plus 2 or more hours of refrigeration
- Active: 10 mins
- 8 Eggland’s Best eggs
- 1 1/2 cups lowfat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 French baguette loaf, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 325 °F. Coat a 13-by-9-inch casserole dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Cut the baguette into 1/2-inch cubes and spread along the bottom of the dish.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, buttermilk, maple syrup, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mix well and pour it over the bread.
- Cover the casserole dish with plastic wrap and press down lightly, so the bread absorbs the egg mixture. Refrigerate it at least 2 hours (or overnight) before baking.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until eggs are set.
- After removing the dish from the oven, sprinkle it with brown sugar and let it stand for 10-15 minutes before serving.