This gumbo recipe uses a variety of vegetables for a hearty first-course soup or light main-course entree. The flavor base of the gumbo, roux, is quicker and cleaner to prepare in a microwave than the stove. The roux must be stirred often during the cooking to ensure even browning of the flour. The darker the roux gets, the deeper the flavor. However, be careful not to burn the roux.
One pound of thinly sliced smoked pork sausage can be added if you wish. Add sausage before adding shrimp. Microwave with 650 watts until sausage is hot, then add shrimp and finish recipe as directed.
- Yield: 4 servings
- Total: 70 minutes
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 3 cups chopped fresh okra or 1 package (10 ounces) frozen okra, chopped
- 1/3 cup each: oil, flour
- 1 1/4 cups diced celery
- 3/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small each: yellow squash, zucchini, thinly sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon each: salt, pepper, thyme
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne or to taste
- 1 pound medium peeled deveined shrimp
- 3/4 teaspoon filé powder, optional
- Cooked rice
- Put diced bacon into 2-quart casserole. Microwave, uncovered, with 650 watts until crisp, about 3 minutes. Remove bacon pieces with slotted spoon; reserve. Add okra; microwave, uncovered, on high, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 7 minutes.
- Put 1/3 cup oil into 3-quart microproof plastic casserole. Microwave, uncovered, with 650 watts, about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in flour. Microwave, uncovered, with 650 watts, until color of cinnamon, stirring often, about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in celery, onions and garlic. Microwave, uncovered, with 650 watts, stirring once, until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in okra mixture, yellow squash, zucchini, bay leaves and green pepper. Stir in chicken broth, parsley, salt, pepper, thyme, Worcestershire and cayenne. Microwave, covered, with 650 watts, until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally, about 7 to 9 minutes.
- Stir in bacon pieces and shrimp. Microwave, covered, with 650 watts until shrimp just begin to curl, about 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in filé powder. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve over rice.