This is a recipe that I developed for my restaurant, La Gamella, in Madrid. It was on the menu for 25 years while I was the owner. It is a great as a starter, main course with salad or for buffets.
- Yields: 8
- Total: 2 hours
- Active: 15/20 minutes
- Pie dough, bought or homemade
- 500 grams fresh Spanish sausage (chorizo), not the cured kind.
- 2 large red bell peppers
- 2 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 150 ml whole milk
- 150 ml heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bake a pie crust “blind” (lined with tinfoil and weights) in a hot oven (200 degrees centigrade) for about 20 minutes. Remove foil and paint with beaten egg. Return to oven and bake about 5 minutes more until golden. Remove from oven.
- Remove casing from the sausage, chop into small pieces. Chop the bell pepper into small pieces. Sauté the sausage with the peppers until the peppers are soft. Remove from skillet and drain to remove as much of the grease as possible.
- Beat the eggs and yolks with the milk, cream, salt and pepper and keep handy.
- Place the sausage/pepper mixture in the pie crust, place the quiche in the oven and fill with the egg/cream liquid. Bake for about 45 minutes in a slow oven (150 centigrade) until set. Remove and serve.