In honor of the late Dorcas Reilly, inventor of America’s most iconic Thanksgiving side (that’d be green bean casserole, of course!), Chadwick Boyd created three updated versions. This one was inspired by his childhood holidays and crab stuffed mushroom caps. It calls for lump crab meat tossed in Old Bay Seasoning, lemon juice, and grated parmesan, and the classic fried onion garnish gets another hit of Old Bay for extra flavor. He suggests doubling this recipe, as it goes fast.
For the other two takes, see this Mushroom Puff Pastry Green Bean Casserole recipe and this Chili Garlic Green Bean Casserole recipe. Get Chadwick’s Pumpkin Chai Slab Pie recipe too (and don’t forget the bourbon vanilla whipped cream).
See our Ultimate Thanksgiving Guide for more tips, tricks, and recipes.
- Yields: 6 servings
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 40 min
- Active: 15 min
- 1 10.5-ounce can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 dash black pepper
- 16-20 ounces frozen and thawed green beans
- 1 1/3 cups fried onions
- 8 ounces lump crab meat
- 3 tablespoons finely diced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 3/4 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning, divided
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Stir together the cream of mushroom soup, milk, soy sauce, black pepper, green beans and 2/3 cup fried onions in a large bowl until combined. Spoon into a 9- x 9-inch casserole dish.
- With a fork, stir together the crab meat, onion, lemon juice, Parmesan cheese and 1 1/2 teaspoons of Old Bay Seasoning until fully combined. Spoon the crab mixture on top of the casserole and dot the top of crab with a pieces of butter. Bake for 25 minutes until the casserole is hot and bubbling and the crab is golden brown.
- In a small bowl, stir together the remaining fried onions, vegetable oil, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon of Old Bay Seasoning. Sprinkle on top of casserole 2 minutes before it is finished baking. Serve.
Copyright © 2018 Lovely & Delicious Enterprises, Inc / Chadwick Boyd. Photograph courtesy of Shutterstock.