As a post-undergrad student (oh my god I feel so old), I know how it is to live off of Maggi/Ramen. It can get really boring and unsatisfying. Here’s a great recipe to jazz up your maggi/ramen noodles, without spending a lot of money, or putting in a lot of effort! I combine healthy broccoli florets with pre-cubed tofu to make a spicy, gingery and garlicky noodle entree! You can impress your friends with this one 😉
- Yields: 1-2
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 15 minutes
- Active: 15 minutes
- 1 package Maggi (I use masala flavor, but anything is fine!)
- 1/2 onion- sliced in rainbows
- 1/2 green/red bell pepper- sliced in rainbows
- 1 head/1 cup broccoli florets
- 1/4 package of pre-cubed firm tofu cubes
- 3-4 dried cayenne chilis (or chili powder to taste)
- 2-3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp salt (or to taste- don’t put too much bc the maggi masala powder is salty!)
- coarse black pepper- a few grinds
- 3 cloves garlic- crushed and minced
- 2-3 tbsp grated ginger (try to use fresh, if not use about 1 tbsp jar ginger paste)
- 2 tbsp olive/veg oil & PAM
- handful of cilantro/coriander- finely chopped for garnishing
- Fill the large pot with cold water, sprinkle with a little salt and set over high flame. Once it starts boiling add the broccoli florets and boil for 2-3 minutes (until slighty soft). Place them in another large boil full of ice water- this is called blanching. Set aside.
- In medium skillet on medium-high flame spray with pam and add oil. Add onions, peppers and garlic. After 1 min add salt, pepper, chilis, and ginger. Saute until onions and peppers begin softening. Add 1-2 tbsp soy sauce and continue cooking.
- In the same large pot used to boil the broccoli, add the maggi noodles (DO NOT ADD SPICE MASALA MIX). Boil for about 2 minutes (you don’t want the noodles getting mushy!)
- In the sauteed veggies, add the broccoli florets and the rest of the soy sauce. In a separate small boil, add the tofu sprinkle with salt and pepper and mix to coat all the pieces. Add these tofu pieces to the saute pan and cook altogether, making sure not to much the tofu pieces. Add the masala mix packet to the veggies, and make sure it coats all the veggies.
- Once the maggi noodles are boiled, add them directly to the sauteed veggies, and toss. Add more salt/soy sauce to taste and continue cooking until everything is coated and heated through.
- Place on a serving platter and garnish with coriander. Eat!