I actually saw something similar in a fantasy/sci-fi book by Stephen Burst which I decided to adapt to real life one night when wanting to do something different to Italian sausage. It is not a warm weather meal.
- Yield: 3 to 4 servings
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 1 hour
- Active: 20 minutes
- Store brand Hot Italian Sausage (doesn’t matter what kind in other words) – 1 lb is good (6 to 8 links)
- garlic – 4 cloves chopped course
- white onion – 1 medium size cut in half slices and broken apart
- Green, Red and Yellow pepper slices – 1/2 cup
- Oregano – 1 tblspoon
- Red wine – 1 to 1 1/2 cups – enough to cover the sausage
- Crushed Hot Pepper – enough to sprinkle over the mixture – to your own heat level
- Olive Oil – to just coat the bottom of the baking pan
- Parmesan cheese grated ~ 2 or 3 tblspoons
- coat the bottom of the pan with olive oil and spread the garlic over the entire pan.
- place the sausages over the garlic, the onion over the sausage and sprinkle the cheese over the sausage.
- mix the onions and peppers and spread over the sausage. Sprinkle the oregano over this.
- Add red wine gently to just 1/2 to 3/4 of the way over the sausage. Sprinkle crushed hot pepper and place into a oven preheated to 350 F and cook for 45 minutes.
- Serve with rice or spaghetti. I use the liquid as a sauce over either.