This sophisticated twist on the breakfast sandwich will liven up your mornings with ancient-grain toast, sautéed kale, and feta cheese!
- Yield: 2 sandwiches
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 10 mins
- Active: 10 mins
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil, preferably Greek
- 2 large organic eggs
- 2 slices spelt bread
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 ½ cups baby kale or spinach, washed and dried
- ¼ cup kalamata olives, sliced
- 1/2 avocado, cut into 4 slices
- 1/3 cup Greek feta, in small pieces
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Place the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, crack the eggs in the skillet and place the bread in the toaster. Once the whites have set and the eggs are partially cooked, gently spoon some of the hot oil from the pan over the yolks. Once the eggs are cooked, transfer them to a plate.
- Increase the heat to high. Add a pinch of red pepper flakes. Once the oil is almost smoking hot, toss in the baby kale. Make sure the greens or dry or the oil will splatter. Saute the greens for 1 to 2 minutes, just until they are wilted. Stir in the kalamata olives.
- Place the two slices of toast on serving plates. Top with the greens and the egg. Add two slices of avocado to each plate. Sprinkle the feta on top. Sprinkle the top with sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Serve.