Forget south of the border, these shrimp tacos get a Mediterranean twist with roasted red peppers, oregano and feta cheese! It’s the perfect recipe to add some variety into your taco night.
- Yields: 8 tacos (4 servings)
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 25 mins
- Active: 15 mins
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, preferably Greek
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup diced red onion
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 12 ounces fresh shrimp, uncooked and deveined
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers, thinly sliced and well drained
- 1 cup roasted corn
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 6 ounces Greek feta, in small chunks (I suggest you choose a sheep’s milk feta for this recipe)
- ½ to 1 serrano pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 lime, cut into 4 wedges
- 8 corn tortillas
- In a large sauté pan heat the oil and butter over medium-high heat. Once the butter has melted and the oil is hot, toss in ¾ cup of the onions and a pinch of salt and pepper. Sauté the onions for several minutes, until translucent. Add the shrimp, oregano, cumin, and a little more salt. Cook for about 4 minutes, or until the shrimp are almost cooked through. Add in the slices of roasted red peppers and the roasted corn. Stir until everything is evenly combined and hot.
- Warm the tortillas. Place the shrimp mixture in the tortillas. Top with the remaining diced onion, fresh cilantro, chunks of feta, and some sliced serrano pepper (adjust the amount according to how spicy you like your food). Serve the tacos with a wedge of lime. Squeeze the lime juice on top right before you eat the tacos.