This easy, quick salad adds cool crunch and a touch of sweet moistness to Mustard Seed Chicken Burgers.
Build your own: It would work just as well with seafood or vegetarian burgers. For extra color, use one head each of white and red endive, if you happen to find the latter in your market. To keep the flavor fresh, make the salad close to serving time.from: Burger Bar By Hubert Keller with Penelope Wisner
- Yields: 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 small heads endive
- 1 small, tart green apple
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
- In a small, dry pan, toast the pine nuts over medium heat until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Be careful not to overcook; pine nuts burn easily. Immediately pour the nuts onto a saucer to cool.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste. Cut the endive crosswise into thin slices and toss them with the dressing. Quarter and core the apple. Slice the quarters thinly crosswise, and then cut the slices into matchsticks. Toss these with the endive. Add the pine nuts and chives, toss well, and taste for seasoning. Toss again just before serving.