Yep. That’s right collard green egg roll. Why? Because we love collard greens and Chinese food in the south and that’s how we roll. Get it roll!!! I remember my wonderful grandmother making collard greens early Sunday morning always adding a little sugar. My father on the other hand made them hot and spicy served with raw onion. Both dishes were great.
- Yield: 5
- Difficulty: Medium
- Total: 1hr 30m
- Active: 15 min
- 1 16 ounce bag of frozen collard greens
- 8 ounces of chicken stock
- 1 tsp. of granulated garlic ,crushed red pepper, onion powder and kosher salt. (salt will not be added until greens are cooked)
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 2 strips of thick cut nitrate free bacon roughly chopped
- egg roll wrappers
- In a cast iron pot fry bacon until crispy remove from pan add onion cook until translucent, add greens seasonings and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for about an hour until tender. Let cool drain and add salt and bacon. Taste greens for seasoning and salt adjustments.
- In a 12 inch frying pan add enough oil to fill pan half way. I use safflower oil do not use olive oil. Heat oil to about 315-325 degrees. Roll your egg rolls. Fry turning constantly until golden brown about 12 min. Makes 10 egg rolls.