This one came about because my husband’s diabetes limits the kind of sweets we can have. Dark chocolate is a solid go-to staple in our house, as are nuts. We were craving a candy bar so went in our larder and whipped this up. Hits the spot.
Also evokes childhood memories of chocolate covered frozen bananas.
Note that the amounts and directions are more an art than a science. Nothing is exact and the amounts and flavors can be modified to your taste. A friend of mine substitutes gummy candies for the coconut (hey, it is CANDY after all…) So, just make it your own.
- Difficulty: Easy
- 1 package Trader Joe’s Nothing But Bananas Flattened
- 12 oz. semi sweet, bittersweet or dark chocolate morsels (we prefer 72% or higher cacao)
- 1/2 cup macadamia nuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup shaved, dried coconut (unsweetened if possible – we buy ours in produce section of WF)
- Preheat oven or toaster oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a baking tray with wax or parchment paper.
- Separate the TJ’s Flattened Bananas and lay them side by side on the baking sheet, slightly overlapping so they cover a large, rectangular base for the other ingredients.
- Mix the chopped macadamia nuts with the shaved dried coconut; spread on a separate baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and place in a toaster or regular oven, preheated to 350 degrees; stir often and watch VERY carefully until the coconut is golden brown. Note: Coconut can burn to a charred (black!) cinder in an instant. don’t walk away…better yet–don’t blink. seriously. Remove and cool completely.
- In a pyrex or glass bowl melt the chocolate at 15 second intervals on high in the microwave, stirring in between heatings until the chocolate is totally melted; whisk rapidly for about 15 seconds after heating until glossy; spread onto the banana base.
- Sprinkle macadamia nut and coconut mixture on melted chocolate.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before cutting into squares and serving. Keeps for about a week in the fridge.