Granola and banana bread, separately, are easy crowd pleasers, so it seemed obvious (to me) to combine them. This granola recipe bakes up in big batches and can be jarred and stored for weeks, if not eaten by the handful first. I like to use dehydrated banana slices in this recipe, as they’re softer and more tender than crisp banana chips. If you prefer them crisp, banana chips are the way to go. Either way, this is a fragrant and comforting granola that is lovely served with tart Greek yogurt.

Not in the mood for banana bread granola specifically? Try our Dried Apricot and Kamut Granola recipe or our Maple, Barley, and Wheat Granola recipe.

Reprinted from Joy the Baker Over Easy. Copyright © 2017 by Joy the Baker, Inc. Interior and cover photographs by Jon Melendez. Published by Clarkson Potter/Publishers, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC.

  • Yield: 4 cups
  • Difficulty: Easy
  • Total: 1 hr
  • Active: 33 mins

Ingredients (12)

  • 2 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
  • 1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
  • 1/2 cup flaxseed meal
  • 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar, packed
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
  • 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
  • 1⁄2 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1⁄3 cup coconut oil, melted
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
  • 2 cups dehydrated or dried banana slices


  1. Place a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 325°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the oats, pecans, flaxseed meal, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
  3. In a small bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, coconut oil, and vanilla. Pour the mixture into the oat mixture and stir well. Spread in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
  4. Bake for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Stir in the coconut flakes during the last 10 minutes of baking. Remove the pan from the oven and let the granola cool completely on the pan.
  5. Once cool, toss in the dehydrated bananas. Store the granola for up to 2 weeks at room temperature in a large jar with an airtight lid.