We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
In 2017, Nectar founders set out to create a sleep revolution. Forget a good night’s sleep, he wanted to give people their best night’s sleep.
The company says its raised the bed-in-a-box bar with higher quality materials, better craftsmanship, the longest trial period, and a warranty that won’t quit. Are these claims true or was the idea of a revolution just a pipe dream?
- Quality first. Nectar foams are CertiPUR-US certified. That means no ozone depleters, mercury, lead, formaldehyde, or sketchy flame retardants.
- Go touch and feel. Unlike other online mattress brands, Nectar has partnered with retail locations in 49 states (sorry Hawaii) so you can check out the mattresses in real life.
- Laundry day approved. You can remove the cover and throw it in the wash. Just be careful not to mess with the foam layers while they’re exposed.
- Freebies. When you buy a mattress, you also get a set of sheets, pillow, and mattress protector for free.
- Buy now, pay later. Financing options are available, including 0% APR for up to 24 months.
- Out of the box. Some people enjoy unboxing a bed-in-a-box, but it’s not for everyone. If you want help, you can pay for White Glove delivery and have your new mattress set up and your old one hauled away. (Heads up: this add-on service may not be available in all areas.)
- No springs attached. There are only two mattresses in the Nectar line, and both are all-foam. If you want an innerspring or hybrid mattress, you’ll need to lay your head elsewhere.
- What’s that smell? Foam mattresses often come with a new mattress smell that’s kinda funky. Don’t worry, it should go away in a couple days.
- Customer disservice. Nectar has some dreamy company policies but a lot of complaints about customer service.
- Price: $$
- Type: all-foam
- Height: 12 inches
- Firmness: medium-firm
- Good for: people with back pain
Go foam or go home. The Nectar Memory Foam Mattress is an all-foam mattress topped off with a quilted cover designed to wick away heat to keep you cool. There are three layers of foam and each brings something to the table (or the bed):
- A thick yet breathable, gel memory foam layer that’s supposed to contour to your body to relieve pressure points.
- A layer of foam that’s designed to adapt to your movement throughout the night.
- A 7-inch base layer of foam to support the other layers so they can function as designed.
Reviewers praise the sleep they get on their Nectar mattress and love the quality, especially for the price. Some customers say the mattress is too soft while others say it’s too firm — but that’s common with mattresses because how firm you find them totally depends on your body weight, sleeping position, and personal preference.
- Price: $$$
- Type: all-foam
- Height: 12 inches
- Firmness: medium-firm
- Good for: people who sleep hot
The Nectar Lush Mattress is an all-foam mattress with the same basic design as the OG Nectar Mattress, but with some added goodness:
- The gel memory foam layer has a section of phase change material in the middle to help regulate your body temperature.
- The body-contouring foam layer is made with a higher density memory foam constructed to give more bounce and make it easier to move around.
- The cover material is designed to pull heat away from the body and remain cool-to-the-touch as you sleep.
Reviewers claim this mattress is comfortable no matter your body weight. They say they’re sleeping great (and cool!) and are incredibly happy with their purchase.
The mattresses in the Nectar line are kinda similar. So, how do you know which one to pick?
Both mattresses are all-foam, so they’re known for motion isolation — which means that if you sleep next to a person or pet who rolls around, either mattress will save you from moving every time they do.
Both Nectar mattresses are also great if you have back pain. Nectar says its mattresses are a 6.5 on a 1 to 10 firmness scale — aka medium-firm — and studies show that medium-firm mattresses are ideal for people with back pain.
But there are some differences between the two mattresses. The Nectar Lush Mattress may be better for you if:
- You sleep hot. The phase change material added to the middle layer is designed to adjust to your body temperature in real-time.
- You change positions throughout the night. Memory foam is designed to conform to your body, creating a bit of a sinking-in feeling that can have combination sleepers feeling a little stuck. The Nectar Lush Mattress is made with a higher density memory foam to add a little more bounce in your roll.
- You sleep on your back or stomach. While side sleepers usually love the pressure-relieving qualities of an all-foam mattress, back and stomach sleepers may prefer a firmer mattress. The extra density of the Nectar Lush is designed to provide more support while still relieving pressure points.
Nectar’s policies seem like a dream come true. But some customers have lost sleep over them.
Nectar lets you try your new mattress for a year. If you’re not sleeping soundly, the company says you can return it with no questions asked. But “no questions” might be due to no communication. Many customers complain that getting in touch with customer service is a bit of a nightmare.
The warranty on your Nectar mattress never expires. It covers physical flaws, manufacturer defects, and sinking greater than 1.5 inches. Sounds straightforward, but customers say it’s a struggle. Some say they can’t reach customer service, or their warranty claim was wrongfully denied.
Free shipping and returns
Shipping and returns are free for the contiguous United States (sorry Alaska and Hawaii). According to the website, your Nectar mattress should arrive in 2 to 5 business days. But according to customer complaints, it can take months.
Free accessories with purchase
When you buy a Nectar mattress, you get a pillow, sheet set, and mattress protector for free — a $399 value. But here’s the catch many customers learned the hard way: those freebies can’t be returned. If you end up returning your mattress, you’ll be charged the full amount for these “gifts.”
Curious how Nectar measures up to the competition? We’ve got you covered. Here’s a side-by-side comparison between Nectar and other popular options.
|Nectar||Tempur-Pedic||Purple||Leesa||Tuft & Needle||Casper|
|Sleep trial||365 nights||90 nights||100 nights||100 nights||100 nights||100 nights|
|Shipping||free shipping in the U.S. except Alaska and Hawaii||free shipping in the U.S. except remote locations, Alaska, and Hawaii||free shipping in the U.S. except Alaska and Hawaii||free shipping in the U.S.||free shipping in the U.S. except Alaska and Hawaii||free shipping in the U.S. (except Alaska and Hawaii) and most of Canada|
|Warranty||lifetime||10 years||10 years||10 years||10 years||10 years|
|Returns||free returns in the U.S. except for Alaska and Hawaii||full refund within trial period minus shipping charges||full refund minus any interest accrued and shipping charges||free returns in the U.S. except for Alaska and Hawaii||free returns in the U.S. except for Alaska and Hawaii||free returns in the U.S. (except Alaska and Hawaii) and most of Canada|
|Mattress type||all-foam||all-foam and hybrid||all-foam and hybrid||all-foam and hybrid||all-foam and hybrid||all-foam and hybrid|
|Financing||0% APR up to 24 months||0% APR up to 36 months||0% APR up to 48 months||0% APR up to 18 months||0% APR up to 12 months||0% APR up to 24 months|
With Nectar, you can rest assured that you’re getting a quality mattress at a reasonable price. But know that when it comes to cozying up with customer service, you might be disappointed.