Here at Greatist, we believe in taking a day off. Instead of our regular programming Saturdays, our writers get a chance to write about living the greatist lifestyle and, basically, whatever they want. This is one of those awesome articles. Enjoy!
Tart cherry pie and baked apples are all fine when it comes to patriotic treats. But after a healthy picnic, they don’t always hit the spot. While I can’t boast any muscle soreness-reducing properties or large doses of antioxidants, I can promise that my 4th of July dessert is so indulgently delicious, it’s like eating an explosion of awesomeness.
White-Chocolate Covered Red Velvet Cake Balls
1 box red velvet cake mix (and accompanying ingredients necessary)
1 can cream cheese frosting
1 package white chocolate
1. Cook the cake as directed on box and let cool completely.
2. Crumble the cake into a large bowl and mix in the 1 can cream cheese frosting. Mix thoroughly.
3. Roll into tiny balls (quarter size is recommended) and lay flat on a cooking sheet.
4. Let chill for several hours.
5. Melt white chocolate, roll balls in the mixture, and lay flat to let cool.
6. To make the dessert red, white, and blue I like to add a few blueberries on top (see picture). They’re purely for decoration purposes, because who in their right mind would look at delicious tray of red velvet cake balls and choose to eat blueberries?!
It’s simple and delicious— just how I like it! And I have to thank Bakerella for the inspiration to make the dessert three years ago. I’ve been the belle of the 4th of July picnic ball ever since!