Moist, juicy chicken thighs simmer in a Vietnamese yellow curry with carrots and potatoes.
- Yield: 6 servings
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 55 mins
- Active: 25 mins
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 yellow onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Kosher salt
- 2 stalks lemongrass, tender part only, halved lengthwise and cut into thirds
- 4 thick slices peeled fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons mild yellow curry powder
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 can coconut milk, well shaken
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 6 bone-in chicken thighs, skinned (2 1/2 to 3 pounds)
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 russet potatoes (about 1 1/4 pounds), cut into chunks
- Steamed rice, for serving
- Chopped fresh basil, for garnishing
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, add the oil and warm until hot. Add the onion, garlic, and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring, until it softens, about 5 minutes. Add the lemongrass, ginger, curry powder, and sugar and cook, stirring, until the spices are fragrant, about 30 seconds. Pour in the coconut milk, broth, and fish sauce and bring to a boil.
- Add the chicken, carrots, potatoes, and 1 teaspoon salt, and stir to combine. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the chicken and vegetables are cooked through, about 30 minutes. Taste and season with salt if necessary. Serve over rice, garnished with the basil.