Nothing says Sunday dinner quite like roast potatoes. They’re easy to assemble, take only 5 minutes of prep time, and are universally loved. Simply toss small to medium red or white potatoes, garlic cloves, and fresh rosemary sprigs in olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and roast at the bottom of a hot oven, to form a crispy, beautifully burnished crust. This recipe was based on the potatoes that traditionally accompany Italian Porchetta or Bistecca Fiorentina. They also pair beautifully with just about any fish or meat dish (try them with our Crispy-Skin Chicken Breasts), or are delicious on their own, topped with our simple pesto recipe.
Timing note: If you’re making these to serve with our bistecca, start heating the oil a few minutes after you put the steak in the oven. Once the oil heats, add the potatoes and proceed with the bistecca recipe. By the time your steak is done, the potatoes will be nicely crisped and ready to eat.
- Yield: 2 to 3 servings
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 45 mins
- Active: 5 mins
- 1 pound small to medium Red Bliss, round white, or new potatoes
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (5-inch) rosemary sprigs
- 5 medium garlic cloves, lightly smashed
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground back pepper
- Heat the oven to 500°F and arrange a rack in the bottom. Clean the potatoes, dry them well, and cut them into halves or quarters lengthwise, depending on their size.
- When the oven is hot (this will take 20 to 30 minutes), add the oil to a 3-quart baking dish and place it on the bottom rack of the oven to heat. Once the oil is hot and shimmering (about 3 minutes), carefully remove the dish from the oven and add the dry potatoes, rosemary, and garlic. Carefully stir to coat in oil, and season generously with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Return the dish to the oven, placing it on the bottom rack, and roast the potatoes, checking occasionally so that they don’t burn, until a nice crust has developed and they are dark golden brown, about 35 minutes. Remove the rosemary, stir to coat the potatoes with oil and break up the garlic cloves, taste and season as necessary, and serve hot.