The color of this soup isfantastic. Purple carrots are vastly under-appreciated, but pack the same benefits as regular carrots do and they taste the same too. This thick soup infuses the carrots with the deep flavors of scallions, shallots, and ginger. There is just a smidgen of butter, which can be replaced with oil if you avoid dairy. Add more water if you like a thinner soup.
- 4large purple carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 4scallions, chopped
- 2shallots, chopped
- 2-inch piece ginger, minced or grated
- Dried coriander
- Warm water or vegetable stock
- In a small covered pot, bring carrots and 1 cup water to a boil over medium heat. Boil until cooked through but not entirely mushy, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a pan over medium heat, melt butter. Add scallions, shallot, ginger, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until shallot begins to soften and turn transparent.
- Transfer carrots and cooking water and cooked veggies to a food processor. Add coriander to taste and up to 1 cup warm water to reach desired consistency. Process until smooth.
- Serve garnished with additional scallions and ginger.