Curry powder, coconut milk, chile flakes, and a touch of brown sugar lift this homey potato and carrot soup out of the ordinary. Use vegetable broth and this warming soup becomes vegan.
- Yield: 8 servings
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 50 mins
- Active: 20 mins
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons yellow curry powder
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 can coconut milk, well shaken
- 3 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- Chopped fresh basil, for garnishing
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, add the oil and warm until hot. Add the onion, garlic, and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring, until it softens, about 5 minutes. Add the curry powder, ginger, pepper flakes, and sugar and cook, stirring, until the spices are fragrant, about 30 seconds. Pour in the broth and coconut milk and bring to a boil.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, and 1 teaspoon salt; stir to combine. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are cooked through, about 30 minutes. Taste and season with salt if necessary.
- Serve in warmed bowls, garnished with the basil.