In this classic cocktail-party appetizer, lightly broiled white mushrooms are filled with a mixture of sautéed shallot, paprika, and sherry, with toasted panko breadcrumbs, fresh lump crabmeat, and shredded fontina cheese. Just before you’re ready to serve, pop the stuffed mushrooms under the broiler to melt the cheese and warm the filling through. For some folks, crab just isn’t worth eating without some Old Bay Seasoning, so feel free to substitute it for the paprika.
For more inspiration, check out our Portobello Mushrooms Stuffed with French Onion Soup and Stuffing-Stuffed Mushrooms.
We featured this recipe in our New Year’s Eve Speakeasy Party photo gallery.
- Yields: 6 to 8 servings as an hors d’oeuvre
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 30 mins
- Active: 30 mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 24 medium white mushrooms, stems removed and wiped clean
- 3 tablespoons panko
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/4 stick)
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1/4 pound fresh lump crabmeat
- 1/4 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Heat the oven to broil and arrange a rack in the middle. Line a large plate with paper towels; set aside.
- Coat a baking sheet with olive oil and place in the oven for 2 minutes. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and evenly arrange mushrooms, cap side down and 1 inch apart, on the baking sheet. Broil until the surface of the caps touching the baking sheet is golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer mushrooms to the paper-towel-lined plate, browned side up, discarding any moisture collected inside the caps; set aside. Wipe the baking sheet dry with a paper towel; set aside.
- Place panko in a medium frying pan over medium-high heat. Toast, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl; set aside. Wipe any crumbs from the pan with a paper towel.
- Reduce heat to medium, return the pan to heat, and melt butter until foaming. Add shallot, paprika, salt, and pepper and sauté, stirring occasionally, until shallot has softened, about 3 minutes. Add sherry and cook until the alcohol smell has dissipated, about 2 minutes. Add toasted panko and stir to combine. Remove mixture to a medium bowl and let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, transfer mushrooms, cap side down and 1 inch apart, to the dried baking sheet.
- Add crabmeat, cheese, and lemon juice to the reserved shallot mixture and gently fold until evenly incorporated. Divide filling evenly among mushrooms. Broil until the cheese is melted and bubbling, about 3 minutes.