A classic French vinaigrette with red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, shallot, lemon juice, and olive oil is one of the most versatile sauces in the kitchen. Use it to dress a simple green salad or an elaborate composed one, employ it as a quick marinade for raw meats or a casual accompaniment for grilled ones.
- Yield: About 1/2 cup
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 10 mins
- Active: 10 mins
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons minced shallot
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Shake all the ingredients vigorously in a screw-top jar; taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Or, in a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, and shallot. Gradually whisk in oil until emulsified; season with salt and pepper.