In the 2010 Oscar-nominated film District 9, crustaceanlike alien “prawns” are held captive in Johannesburg. Prawns suffering in captivity? A Bloody Mary with pickled prawns only seemed appropriate.
This recipe was featured as part of our Best Picture Cocktails story.
- Yield: 1 drink
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: Under 5 mins
- Active: Under 5 mins
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped jalapeño pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon pickling liquid from our Pickled Prawns
- 2 to 3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 4 ounces tomato juice
- 2 ounces vodka
- Finely ground black pepper
- 2 Pickled Prawns, for garnish
- 1 celery stick, for garnish
- Combine lime juice, jalapeño, horseradish, prawn pickling liquid, and Worcestershire sauce in a cocktail shaker and muddle until the jalapeño is pulverized. Add ice to fill halfway, then add tomato juice and vodka and season with salt and pepper. Shake vigorously until combined, about 20 seconds.
- Strain into a highball glass filled with ice. Garnish with pickled prawns and celery.