We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
7 down mattress toppers you’ll love
Here’s the quick list. Keep scrolling for the deets!
- Parachute Down Featherbed
- Puredown Goose Feather Mattress Topper
- Canadian Down & Feather Company Down Perfect Feather Bed
- Cuddledown 700 Fill Power White Goose Down Super Featherbed
- The Company Store Company LoftAIRE Down Alternative Mattress Topper
- Soak&Sleep Goose Down Dual Chamber Mattress Topper
- The Company Store Legends Hotel Down Alternative Baffled Featherbed
Transparency, baby. If a topper claimed to be down, we wanted to know the exact percentage of pure down plus what other materials were used.
That helped us calculate:
- bang for your buck
- true comfort level
Toppers also had to have:
- baffling or stitching to keep the filling from bunching
- a high quality cover (think soft, smooth, and cooling)
Finally, we gave bonus points to brands that took steps to ensure animal well-being.
The pricing lowdown
To keep it simple, all prices are based on the cost of a queen-size down mattress topper.
- $ = under $150
- $$ = $150–$300
- $$$ = over $300
1. Best overall: Parachute Down Featherbed
This 3-inch pile of plush, bouncy warmth is powered by a 550 fill rating of premium white goose down.
The baffle box construction prevents comfort-killing lumps and bumps, and the sateen shell feels cool and crisp to the touch. It’s really pretty ahh-worthy.
The only con is that the king and twin sizes are currently out of stock. #FingersCrossed for 2021.
2. Best bang for your buck: Puredown Goose Feather Mattress Topper
A feather mattress topper is never gonna be cheap. But replacing some of the down with more affordable fillings like polyester results in a mattress topper that’s cozy, comfortable, and budget-friendly. This one fits the bill — it’s got a luscious top layer filled with 75 percent natural white goose down.
Heads-up for sweaty sleepers: The poly filling might not be as breathable as you’d like. But on the plus side, it’s super warm!
3. Best breathable down topper: Canadian Down & Feather Company Down Perfect Feather Bed
We get it. And we think this down topper strikes the perfect balance. The Down Perfect Feather Bed adds a layer of 575 loft down on top of a mattress topper that’s mostly goose feathers. It’s got all the plushness with none of the heat-trapping drawbacks of down.
4. Most ultra-luxe: Cuddledown 700 Fill Power White Goose Down Super Featherbed
If you really want to sleep like royalty, you can’t do better than an impossibly thick, multilayered down topper. This one offers 6.5 inches of premium goose down with a whopping 700 fill power.
The cotton twill cover is Oeko-Tex (sustainable textile production) certified, and the down meets Responsible Down Standard (RDS), which verifies animal welfare and ethical supply chain practices. #winning
5. Most supportive: The Company Store Company LoftAIRE Down Alternative Mattress Topper
Full disclosure: This topper uses synthetic fill instead of goose down. But it landed on our list because the plush filler is actually pretty perfect at easing pressure points and preventing soreness. It’ll banish that awful morning stiffness without requiring you to take animal welfare practices into consideration.
Bonus? It’s reversible, so it’ll last twice as long.
6. Best ethical down topper: Soak&Sleep Goose Down Dual Chamber Mattress Topper
Speaking of animal welfare, the goose feathers in this topper are sourced from suppliers who follow the Responsible Down Standard (RDS).
As for the topper itself, a dual-chamber design offers deep, firm support paired with intense plushness in the final layer. A cotton cover keeps things breathable.
Note that this brand is based in the U.K., so North Americans should account for longer shipping times.
7. Best down alternative: The Company Store Legends Hotel Down Alternative Baffled Featherbed
Plush and snuggly, this made-in-the-USA down-free featherbed feels like the real thing. Four inches of baffled walls give the topper a lofty structure worth sinking into. Quilted squares keep the down alternative filling from shifting around, and a simple 200-thread-count cotton shell keeps things cool.