Want a comforting breakfast recipe to cozy up to on these chilly, autumn mornings? Filled with fiber and helpful in lowering cholesterol and reducing the risk of heart disease, oatmeal is a great choice. This warm cereal can be pretty darn delicious, especially when jazzed up with healthy proteins, low-fat dairy, and fruits and veggies. Try a take on a traditional favorite Thanksgiving treat and enjoy Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal for a healthy breakfast, perfect for any fall morning!
Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal
(Adapted from Oh She Glows)
1/3 cup rolled oats
1 cup low fat, skim, soy, or almond milk 1/3 cup pumpkin puree 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice (cinnamon, ginger, lemon peel, nutmeg, cloves, cardamom) 1/2 tsp vanilla extract Pinch of sea salt
Toppings: (Choose as few or as many as you like!) 1 tbsp chopped pecans 1 tbsp pure maple syrup Pinch of cinnamon Splash of milk Crumbled graham cracker
- In a medium sized pot, heat the oats and milk of choice over medium heat.
- When it comes to a low boil, turn the heat down to medium-low and add pumpkin. Heat and stir for 5-7 minutes.
- Add spices and vanilla and stir frequently for another 5-7 minutes.
- Pour into a bowl and add toppings.
- Grab your slippers, a good book, a cute puppy, and enjoy!
Also check it: 34 Healthy Breakfasts for Mornings on the Run