Welcome to GreatistYou, a new social experiment where we see what happens when five people decide to change their health—and broadcast their journeys for everyone to see. Four goals, five contestants, and six weeks to crush said goals for the promise of a better life (oh, and $1,000!).
Can you believe it?! We're just under two weeks away from the closing ceremonies of GreatistYou. What an incredible journey it's been so far. To commemorate the success of going so far in such a short amount of time, we asked our contestants to tell us what they've learned. Best parts, worst parts, and biggest hurdles.
- Regina (@greatistregina) says: "Best part:
Having people reach out to me and tell me I've inspired them. Holy moly! Best. Ever."
- Adrienne (@greatistdanda) says: "The best part has been trying out different exercises and having a new approach to running. Before GreatistYou, I was kind of stuck in my ways and would just do the same run each day. Now, I love switching it up by adding in yoga, swimming, bar, etc. and adding variety into my runs to push myself and prevent injuries."
- Darby (@greatistdanda) says: "The biggest hurdle has been balancing my work and exercise life. My work is incredibly busy at the moment and I have been working overtime because of it. Sometimes my work days leave me so exhausted, but I am learning to leave it behind once I step outside of the office."
- Jasmine (@greatistjasmine) says: "Thus far, I have to say I really enjoy the excitement of trying new foods and creating new meals. As strange as it may seem, I get this thrill from grocery shopping because I know I'm being mindful about what I'm eating and what ingredients are in the foods I choose—something I've never really done before. It's been quite a journey so far and I really like eating Whole30. It truly feels like a lifestyle change, in conjunction with working out. I may even try to continue it long term. "
- Brandon (@greatistbrandon) says: "The best part has been the support I have received—from friends, from followers, from the Greatist staff. I feel awesome about that. I have also put a lot of work into my social media presence, cultivating a following, engaging with people through likes and comments, and so forth. I have enjoyed e-meeting new people and feeling connected to them."
- Hey, we wouldn't leave ya without some words of wisdom from Jessi (@greatistmentor): "Get outside and enjoy some leisure movement in the sunshine!!"