French toast without eggs and milk? Yep. And the results are so good, you might go back for thirds! Coconut milk ensures that soft center, and brown sugar and cinnamon add the perfect sweetness. Drizzle with maple syrup, and you’re set!
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2-3 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
- 1small loaf sourdough bread, sliced 1 to 1 1/2-inches thick
- Pure maple syrup, for serving (optional)
- Berries, for serving (optional)
- Turn oven to warm, about 150 degrees.
- In a medium flat-bottomed bowl, whisk together coconut milk, vanilla, brown sugar, cinnamon, and cornstarch.
- Heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat.
- Dip both sides of 1 piece bread in coconut milk mixture. (Don’t soak bread or let it get too soggy, just moisten it.) Carefully place pan. Repeat with additional slices bread to fill pan.
- Cook until bottom of bread is golden brown, about 3 to 5 minutes. Flip and cook other side of bread.
- Remove from pan, place on an oven-safe plate and keep warm in oven.
- Add another 1 tablespoon coconut oil to pan, and repeat cooking process with remainder of bread.
- Serve immediately, topped with with pure maple syrup and fresh berries, if desired.