Let’s face it, few foods can really top the white potato in providing that silky, seamless, and oh so comforting satisfaction. While there may be few good substitutes, they do indeed exist. Celery root (a.k.a. celeriac) works the best and is truly an underrated vegetable. This recipe mashes it with fresh herbs and seasonings for loads of flavor.
- 2celery roots (celeriac), peeled and cut in half
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil (optional)
- Boil celeriac in water until tender, about 10 minutes. (It should easily pierced through to the other side with a fork when done. The pieces, however, should not be so tender that they break apart.)
- Drain and place celeriac in a bowl with remaining ingredients. Mash until well mixed but still chunky. Garnish with additional thyme.