A great way to use corn and, er, get rid of lima beans. The green onions (scallions) give it a vichysoisse like taste at much lower cost.
- Yields: 5 to 6 cups
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 75 minutes
- Active: 15 minutes
- 1 lb. frozen corn, or equivalent fresh kernels
- 1 can (16 oz.) creamed corn
- 1 lb. frozen lima beans
- 1 qt. chicken stock
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 bunches green onions (trimmed to 50% green, 50% white tops and diced)
- 1 lemon
- 1 medium russet potato, finely diced
- 1 poblano or Anaheim chile, roasted, deskinned, deseeded
- In a large pot sweat the onion until translucent. Add the creamed corn, chicken stock, lima beans, potato and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the green onions, frozen corn, chile and simmer for 15 more minutes. If too thick, add water. Puree the soup using a stick blender or remove to a stand up blender; return to the pot.
- Zest the lemon into the soup. Juice the lemon, strain and add to the soup. Add ground black pepper and salt to taste. Simmer for 15 minutes.