You don’t have to take in a kingdom of calories to eat like a king, and this recipe is testament to just that. Instead of using white potato to make hash browns, opt for diced celery root, then add fresh tomatoes with plenty of seasoning. The result is a big breakfast with little cleanup (and no bellyache).
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2large celery root, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoonsweet paprika
- 1large tomato, chopped
- Fresh basil, for garnish
- Red pepper flakes, for garnish
- Warm oil in a pan over medium heat. Add celery, salt, pepper, and paprika, and stir to combine. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes, or until celery root begins to soften.
- Add tomato and mix, cooking until tomato has broken down and created a thick sauce for celery root, about 3 to 5 minutes. Once celery root is fully cooked through, transfer to a plate and set aside, keeping pan over heat.
- Crack eggs in a small bowl and whisk with a fork until smooth. Add eggs to pan, making sure they cover the entire surface evenly. Gradually stir, creating curds with eggs and making sure everything gets cooked.
- Serve eggs atop celery root mixture and garnish with fresh basil and red pepper flakes.