Forget the sugar-laden coffee shop chai loaded with artificial flavorings. For a fraction of the price, you can make this cozy beverage right in your own kitchen. Use whatever milk you prefer, and adjust the amounts to taste. You can also use 1/2 teaspoon each of ground spices rather than the whole pieces if you don’t have them on hand.
- 1 cup water
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4green cardamom pods, crushed
- 2cinnamon sticks, broken in half
- 2star anise, broken into pieces
- 4whole cloves
- 1 cup milk
- Honey (optional)
- 4black tea bags (or 2 heaping tablespoons loose leaf black tea)
- Place water and spices in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil. Add milk and honey to taste (if desired), stir, and bring to boil once more.
- Remove from heat and add tea bags. Cover and steep 3 to 5 minutes.
- Strain before serving.