Halloween sweets can easily get out of hand (oh come on, let’s throw some peanut butter cups in those brownies!), but these cookies keep it real with just three (!) low-fat ingredients. Plus, all that mixing is a stellar arm workout.
What You’ll Need:
3 large egg whites at room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat the oven to 225 degrees. Cut parchment paper to fit your baking sheets, then trace 1½ inch circles onto the paper in pencil. Reverse the paper before placing on the baking sheets.
- Start with the egg whites in a large, clean bowl. If using a hand mixer, placing the bowl on a damp pot holder or inside a pot can help stabilize the bowl. Beat the eggs on medium-low until they get frothy and opaque.
- Add the cream of tartar and increase the mixer speed to medium. Continue mixing until the egg whites hold a soft peak when the mixer is lifted.
- Up the mixer speed to medium-high and add the sugar a little at a time until completely combined. Continue mixing until the egg whites hold firm peaks when the mixer is removed. Continue mixing on high until the peaks are stiff and don’t droop anymore at all.
- Spoon the batter into a gallon-size plastic bag or a cake decorating bag. Cut off the tip of one corner of the bag. Squeeze out circular peaks onto the baking sheets. Bake for 90 minutes.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely, and decorate!
Recipe from Secret Life of a Chef’s Wife