Effective Date of Current Policy: April 9, 2019
Greatist is committed to being your most trusted ally in your pursuit of health and well-being. Whether you're here to learn more about a health condition, tap into one of our communities, or get tips for a healthier lifestyle, you're in the right place. Behind all our content is a compassionate team of professionals who genuinely care about the health of you and your loved ones.
By visiting and interacting with our Website, We'll ask you to share certain information with Us, as detailed below. We may use some of the information you share with Us to serve you relevant advertising.
Table of Contents
- What Personal Information do we collect and how we use it?
- Types of Personal Information we collect
- How do we use the information we collect?
- Cookies, Pixel Tags/Web Beacons, Analytics Information, and Interest-Based Advertising
- Third-Party Websites and Social Media Platforms
- Third-Party Payment Processing
- With whom do we share that information?
- Do we collect information from children?
- What security measures do we take with respect to your information?
- Opt-out rights (rights to object to processing)
- Website Location, US Transfer & Processing
- Rights of Access, Rectification, Erasure, and Restriction
- Data Retention
- International Users
- Your California Privacy Rights
- Contact Us
- Revision History
This Policy applies to all Greatist’s operating divisions, subsidiaries, affiliates, and branches, and any additional subsidiary, affiliate, or branch of Greatist that we may subsequently form.
Personal Information: Any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (“Individual”).
Sensitive Data or Sensitive Personal Information: A subset of Personal Information which, due to its nature, has been classified by law or by policy as deserving additional privacy and security protections. Sensitive Personal Information includes Personal Information regarding EU residents that is classified as a “Special Category of Personal Data” under EU law, which consists of the following data elements: (1) race or ethnic origin; (2) political opinions; (3) religious or philosophical beliefs; (4) trade union membership; (5) genetic data; (6) biometric data where Processed to uniquely identify a person; (6) health information; (7) sexual orientation or information about the Individual’s sex life; or (8) information relating to the commission of a criminal offense.
2. What Personal Information do we collect and how we use it?
The types of Personal Information we may collect (directly from you or from Third-Party sources) and our privacy practices depend on the nature of the relationship you have with Greatist and the requirements of applicable law. Some of the ways that Greatist may collect Personal Information include:
You may provide Personal Information directly to Greatist through interacting with the Services, participating in surveys, registering to receive our Newsletters, during events such as sweepstakes, and requesting Services, or information.
As you navigate the Services, certain passive information may also be collected about your visit, including through cookies and similar technologies as described below.
We endeavor to collect only that information which is relevant for the purposes of Processing. Below are the ways we collect Personal Information and how we use it.
1. Types of Personal Information we collect
Greatist collects Personal Information regarding its current, prospective, and former clients, customers, users, visitors and guests (collectively “Individuals”):
- Information You Provide Directly to Us. When you use the Services or engage in certain activities, such as registering to receive our Newsletters, participating in surveys, sweepstakes or contests, or otherwise interacting or requesting information on the Services, we may ask you to provide some or all of the following types of information:
- Communication with Us. We may collect Personal Information from you, such as your name, postal address, email address and phone number when you chose to request information about our Services, register for our Newsletter, or otherwise communicate with Us.
- Surveys. From time to time, we may contact you to participate in online surveys. If you do decide to participate, you may be asked to provide certain information which may include Personal Information. All information collected from your participation in our surveys is provided by you voluntarily. We may use such information to improve our Services and in any manner consistent with the policies provided herein.
- Posting on the Website. Greatist may offer publicly accessible pages or blogs on the Website. You should be aware that, when you disclose information about yourself in on Greatist’s publicly accessible pages or blogs, the Website will collect the information you provide in such submissions, including any Personal Information. If you choose to submit content to any public area of the Website, such content will be considered “public” and will not be subject to the privacy protections set forth herein.
- Registration for Sweepstakes or Contests. Occasionally, Greatist may run sweepstakes and contests. We ask those who enter in the sweepstakes or contests to provide contact information (e.g., an e-mail address). If you participate in a sweepstakes or contest, your contact information may be used to reach you about the sweepstakes or contest, and for other promotional, marketing and business purposes. In compliance with the laws of your jurisdiction, as a participant you will have the opportunity to opt out of any communications that are not related to awarding prizes.
- Automatic Data Collection. We may collect certain information automatically through our Services or other methods of web analysis, such as your Internet protocol (IP) address, cookie identifiers, mobile carrier, mobile advertising identifiers, MAC address, IMEI, Advertiser ID, and other device identifiers that are automatically assigned to your computer or device when you access the Internet, browser type and language, geo-location information, hardware type, operating system, Internet service provider, pages that you visit before and after using the Services, the date and time of your visit, the amount of time you spend on each page, information about the links you click and pages you view within the Services, and other actions taken through use of the Services such as preferences.
- Information from Other Sources. We may receive information about you from other sources, including through third-party services and organizations to supplement information provided by you. For example, if you access our Services through a Third-Party application, such as an App Store or social network site (“SNS”), we may collect information about you from that third-party application that you have made public via your privacy settings. Information we collect through App Stores or SNS accounts may include your name, your SNS user identification number, your SNS user name, location, sex, birth date, email, profile picture, and your contacts on the SNS. This supplemental information allows us to verify information that you have provided to Greatist and to enhance our ability to provide you with information about our business and Services.
2. How do we use the information we collect?
We acquire, hold, use, and Process Personal Information about Individuals for a variety of business purposes, including:
- To Provide Services or Information Requested. Greatist may use information about you to fulfill requests for Services or information, including information about potential or future Services, including to:
- conduct and process transactions with you;
- Administrative Purposes. Greatist may use Personal Information about you for its administrative purposes, including to:
- measure interest in our Services;
- improve our Services and develop new services;
- protect our Services, systems, information, employees, business partners, service providers, users, customers or others;
- verify Individual identity;
- prevent potentially prohibited or illegal activities; and
- process payment for Services purchased.
- Marketing Greatist Services. Greatist may use Personal Information to provide you with materials about offers, products, and Services that may be of interest, including new content or Services. Greatist may provide you with these materials by email, as permitted by applicable law. Such uses include:
- To tailor content, advertisements, and offers;
- To notify you about offers, products, and services that may be of interest to you;
- To provide Services to you and our sponsors;
- For other purposes disclosed at the time that Individuals provide Personal Information; or
- Otherwise with your consent.
You may contact Us at any time to opt out of the use of your Personal Information for marketing purposes, as further described in Section 6 below.
- Research and Development. Greatist may use Personal Information to create non-identifiable information that we may use alone or in the aggregate with information obtained from other sources, in order to help Us to optimally deliver our existing products and Services or develop new products and Services. From time to time, Greatist may perform research (online and offline) via surveys. We may engage Third-Party service providers to conduct such surveys on our behalf. All survey responses are voluntary, and the information collected will be used for research and reporting purposes to help Us better serve Individuals by learning more about their needs and the quality of the products and services we provide. The survey responses may be utilized to determine the effectiveness of our Services, various types of communications, advertising campaigns, and/or promotional activities. If an Individual participates in a survey, the information given will be used along with that of other study participants. We may share anonymous Individual and aggregate data for research and analysis purposes.
- Email. Individuals who provide Us with Personal Information, or whose Personal Information we obtain from Third Parties, may receive periodic emails and Newsletters from Us with information on Greatist’s or our business partners’ products and services or upcoming special offers/events we believe may be of interest. We offer the option to decline these communications at no cost to the Individual by following the instructions in Section 6 below.
- Anonymous and Aggregated Information Use. Greatist may use Personal Information and other information about you to create anonymized and aggregated information, such as de-identified demographic information, de-identified location information, information about the computer or device from which you access Greatist’s Services, or other analyses we create. Anonymized and aggregated information is used for a variety of functions, including the measurement of visitors’ interest in and use of various portions or features of the Services. Anonymized or aggregated information is not Personal Information, and Greatist may use such information in a number of ways, including research, internal analysis, analytics, and any other legally permissible purposes. We may share this information within Greatist and with Third Parties for our or their purposes in an anonymized or aggregated form that is designed to prevent anyone from identifying you.
- Sharing Content with Friends or Colleagues. Greatist’s Services may offer various tools and functionalities. For example, Greatist allows you to provide information about your friends through our referral services, such as “Tell a Friend.” Our referral services may allow you to forward or share certain content with a friend or colleague, such as an email inviting your friend to use our Services. Email addresses that you may provide for a friend or colleague will be used to send your friend or colleague the content or link you request, but will not be collected or otherwise used by Greatist or any other Third Parties for any other purpose.
- Other Uses. Greatist may use Personal Information for which we have a legitimate interest, such as direct marketing, individual or market research, anti-fraud protection, or any other purpose disclosed to you at the time you provide Personal Information or with your consent.
3. Cookies, Pixel Tags/Web Beacons, Analytics Information, and Interest-Based Advertising
- Pixel Tags/Web beacons: A pixel tag (also known as a web beacon) is a piece of code embedded on the Website that collects information about users’ engagement on that web page. The use of a pixel allows Us to record, for example, that a user has visited a particular web page or clicked on a particular advertisement.
- Analytics. We may use Google Analytics and Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting to collect information regarding visitor behavior and visitor demographics on some of our Services, and to develop website content. This analytics data is not tied to any Personal Information. For more information about Google Analytics, please visit www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/. You can opt out of Google’s collection and Processing of data generated by your use of the Services by going to http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
Our uses of such Technologies fall into the following general categories:
- Advertising or Targeting Cookies. We may use first-party or third-party cookies and web beacons to deliver content, including ads relevant to your interests, on our Website or on third party sites. This includes using technologies to understand the usefulness to you of the advertisements and content that has been delivered to you, such as whether you have clicked on an advertisement.
If you would like to opt out of the Technologies we employ on our Services, you may do so by blocking, deleting, or disabling them as your browser or device permits.
4. Third-Party Websites and Social Media Platforms
The Website may contain links to other websites and other websites may reference or link to our Website or other Services. These other domains and websites are not controlled by us, and Greatist does not endorse or make any representations about Third-Party websites or social media platforms. We encourage our users to read the privacy policies of each and every website and application with which they interact. We do not endorse, screen or approve, and are not responsible for the privacy practices or content of such other websites or applications. Visiting these other websites or applications is at your own risk.
The Website and our other Services may also contain links and interactive features with various social media platforms (e.g., widgets). If you already use these platforms, their cookies may be set on your device when using our Website or other Services. You should be aware that Personal Information which you voluntarily include and transmit online in a publicly accessible blog, chat room, social media platform or otherwise online, or that you share in an open forum may be viewed and used by others without any restrictions. We are unable to control such uses of your information when interacting with a social media platform, and by using such services you assume the risk that the Personal Information provided by you may be viewed and used by third parties for any number of purposes.
3. With whom do we share that information?
- We Use Vendors and Service Providers. We may share any information we receive with vendors and service providers. The types of service providers to whom we entrust Personal Information include service providers for: (i) provision of IT and related services; (ii) provision of information and services you have requested; (iii) customer service activities; (iv) payment processing; and (iv) in connection with the provision of the Website. Greatist has executed appropriate contracts with the service providers that prohibit them from using or sharing Personal Information except as necessary to perform the contracted services on our behalf or to comply with applicable legal requirements.
- Business Partners. Greatist may share Personal Information with our business partners, and affiliates for our and our affiliates’ internal business purposes or to provide you with a product or service that you have requested. Greatist may also provide Personal Information to business partners with whom we may jointly offer products or services, or whose products or services we believe may be of interest to you. In such cases, our business partner’s name will appear, along with Greatist. Greatist requires our affiliates and business partners to agree in writing to maintain the confidentiality and security of Personal Information they maintain on our behalf and not to use it for any purpose other than the purpose for which Greatist provided them.
- Displaying to Other Users. The content you post to the Website may be displayed on the Website. Other users of the Website may be able to see some information about you, such as your name if you submit a review. We are not responsible for privacy practices of the other users who will view and use the posted information.
- Marketing – Interest-Based Advertising and Third Party Marketing. Through our Services, Greatist may allow Third-Party advertising partners to set tracking tools (e.g., cookies) to collect information regarding your activities (e.g., your IP address, page(s) visited, time of day). We may also share such de-identified information as well as selected Personal Information (such as demographic information and past purchase history) we have collected with Third-Party advertising partners. These advertising partners may use this information (and similar information collected from other websites) for purposes of delivering targeted advertisements to you when you visit non-Greatist related websites within their networks. This practice is commonly referred to as “interest-based advertising” or “online behavioral advertising. We may allow access to other data collected by the Website to facilitate transmittal of information that may be useful, relevant, valuable or otherwise of interest to you. These companies are authorized to use your personal information only as necessary to provide these services to us. These third parties currently may include: Acxiom, Adbridg, Akamai, Amazon, Appnexus, Criteo, District M, Facebook, Google, Index Exchange, LunaMetrics, Moat, Nexage, Oath, Oracle, OpenX, PageFair, PX, Rubicon, Sailthru, SendBird DBA, Teads, The TradeDesk, TripleLift, Yieldbot. If you prefer that we do not share your Personal Information with Third-Party advertising partners, you may opt out of such sharing at no cost by following the instructions in Section 6 below.
- Disclosures to Protect Us or Others (e.g., as Required by Law and Similar Disclosures). We may access, preserve, and disclose your Personal Information, other Account information, and content if we believe doing so is required or appropriate to: (i) comply with law enforcement or national security requests and legal process, such as a court order or subpoena; (ii) respond to your requests; (iii) protect yours’, ours’ or others’ rights, property, or safety; (iv) to enforce Greatist policies or contracts; (v) to collect amounts owed to Greatist; (vi) when we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical harm or financial loss or in connection with an investigation or prosecution of suspected or actual illegal activity; or (vii) if we, in good faith, believe that disclosure is otherwise necessary or advisable. In addition, from time to time, server logs may be reviewed for security purposes – e.g., to detect unauthorized activity on the Services. In such cases, server log data containing IP addresses may be shared with law enforcement bodies in order that they may identify users in connection with their investigation of the unauthorized activities.
4. Do we collect information from children?
We do not knowingly collect, maintain, or use Personal Information from our Website about children under the age of 13. We request that persons under the age of 13 not use our Website without supervision from a responsible adult. We will never request Personal Information from a child under the age of 13 without verifiable parental consent. If We become aware that a child under the age of 13 has sent Personal Information to us without prior parental consent, We will remove his or her Personal Information from our files.
5. What security measures do we take with respect to your information?
The security of your personal information is important to us. We follow generally accepted standards to protect the personal information submitted to us, both during transmission and once it is received, and take various precautions to protect information from loss and misuse. If you have any questions about the security of your personal information, you can contact us at email@example.com.
6. Opt-out rights (rights to object to processing)
We offer you choices regarding the collection, use and sharing of your Personal Information and we’ll respect the choices you make. Where you have consented to Greatist’s Processing of your Personal Information or Sensitive Personal Information, you may withdraw that consent at any time and opt out of further Processing by completing our Rights Request form. Please note that if you decide not to provide us with the Personal Information that we request, you may not be able to access all of the features of the Services. Even if you opt out, we may still collect and use non-Personal Information regarding your activities on our Website and/or information from the advertisements on Third-Party websites for non-interest based advertising purposes, such as to determine the effectiveness of the advertisements.
- “Do not Track”. Our Website does not have the capability to respond to “Do Not Track” signals received from various web browsers.
7. Website Location, US Transfer & Processing
THE SITE IS OPERATED BY HEALTHLINE MEDIA, INC., IN THE UNITED STATES, AND PERSONAL INFORMATION WILL BE PRIMARILY STORED IN THE UNITED STATES. BY PROVIDING PERSONAL INFORMATION TO US, TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT WE COLLECT, MAINTAIN, PROCESS AND TRANSFER SUCH INFORMATION IN AND TO THE UNITED STATES AND OTHER COUNTRIES AND TERRITORIES, PURSUANT TO THE LAWS OF THE UNITED STATES OR SUCH OTHER JURISDICTIONS, WHICH MAY PROVIDE LESSER PRIVACY PROTECTIONS THAN EUROPEAN ECONOMIC AREA COUNTRIES, AND TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOUR INFORMATION MAY THUS BE SUBJECT TO U.S. FEDERAL AND CALIFORNIA STATE LAW AND OTHER FOREIGN LAWS AND ACCESSIBLE TO U.S. AND FOREIGN GOVERNMENTS, COURTS, LAW ENFORCEMENT AND REGULATORY AGENCIES. BECAUSE HEALTHLINE IS LOCATED IN THE UNITED STATES, THESE DATA TRANSFERS TO THE UNITED STATES ARE NECESSARY TO PROVIDE THE SERVICES TO YOU AS SET FORTH IN OUR TERMS OF SERVICE AND TO OPERATE OUR WEBSITE. WHEN APPLICABLE, WE WILL OBTAIN YOUR CONSENT FOR THESE DATA TRANSFERS TO THE UNITED STATES.
8. Rights of Access, Rectification, Erasure, and Restriction
You may inquire as to whether Greatist is Processing Personal Information about you, request access to Personal Information, and ask that we correct, amend or delete your Personal Information where it is inaccurate. To do so, please complete our Rights Request form. Such requests will be processed in line with local laws.
Although Greatist makes good faith efforts to provide Individuals with access to their Personal Information, there may be circumstances in which Greatist is unable to provide access, including but not limited to: where the information contains legal privilege, would compromise others’ privacy or other legitimate rights, where the burden or expense of providing access would be disproportionate to the risks to the Individual’s privacy in the case in question or where it is commercially proprietary. If Greatist determines that access should be restricted in any particular instance, we will provide you with an explanation of why that determination has been made and a contact point for any further inquiries. To protect your privacy, Greatist will take commercially reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting access to or making any changes to your Personal Information.
9. Data Retention
10. Your California Privacy Rights
California residents may request and obtain from Us, once a year, free of charge, a list of third parties, if any, to which we disclosed their Personal Information for direct marketing purposes during the preceding calendar year and the categories of Personal Information shared with those third parties. If you are a California resident and wish to obtain that information, please complete our Rights Request form and include “California Privacy Rights” in the Request Details box or by writing to Us at Privacy Office, Greatist c/o Healthine, 660 Third Street, 2nd Floor, San Francisco, CA 94107.
California law requires certain businesses to respond to requests from California residents asking about the disclosure of Personal Information to third parties for marketing purposes. Alternatively, such businesses may adopt a policy of not disclosing Personal Information to third parties for marketing purposes if a California resident opts-out.
Healthline provides you with a cost-free means to opt-out of such sharing, if you do not want Healthline to disclose information to other companies for their marketing purposes, please follow the opt-out procedures set forth above.
CA Eraser law
Under California's Digital Online Eraser Law (California Senate Bill 568), users, under the age of 18, have the right to remove, or request the removal of, content or information they have posted publicly on the Services. Please be advised that any information you post to a bulletin board, message board, chat room, community, or other forum is publicly viewable. We strongly recommend that all users avoid posting personal or sensitive information at any time. To request removal of content or information under this section, please complete our Rights Request form, and specifically identify the content or information you would like removed.
Please be aware that even though We will comply with your request for removal of this content or information from public view, We cannot guarantee complete or comprehensive removal. However, We may retain copies of the content or information you have previously posted on our server, and We are not required to remove your posted content or information if it has been rendered anonymously or if We are required by law to retain it. Additionally, We do not have control over third parties (i.e., other users) who may have copied or reposted the information.
12. Contact Us
Greatist c/o Healthline Media, Inc.
660 Third Street, 2nd Floor
San Francisco, CA 94107
Telephone Number: (+1) 415-281-3100
E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
13. Revision History
Title (Effective Date)