Get ready to use cauliflower like you’ve never seen it before! With this inventive pizza recipe, grated cauliflower is used as the foundation for the dough, avoiding the carb-overload that comes along with traditional pizza. The crust sticks together with the addition of yogurt and egg. I pre-cook the crust to get a firm, crispy bottom, add the toppings, and then put it back into the oven to melt the cheese. It's a super quick and light way to resurrect pizza night without the guilt! Another big bonus? Cauliflower is full of antioxidants, and may even help prevent some types of cancer.
What You’ll Need:
For the crust:
- 2 cups grated cauliflower (about 1/2 a head)
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Dash of sea salt
For the topping:
- 3/4 cup of your favorite store-bought or homemade marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup of grated mozzarella
- Choice of cooked vegetables (optional)
What to Do:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a food processor, prepare the cauliflower by pulsing florets until they take on a grainy or grated texture.
- Place 2 cups of the grated cauliflower into a clean, thin dish towel. Wrap it up in the middle and twist closed, squeezing out all the moisture.
- Place the dry cauliflower into a bowl and add the yogurt, eggs, and spices. (Note: Italian seasoning includes dried marjoram, thyme, rosemary, sage, oregano, and basil. If it’s more convenient, replace the Italian seasoning with dried oregano, basil, or thyme alone.)
- Fold the mixture until everything is evenly combined.
- Place the cauliflower “dough” onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and spread the mixture with your hands until it is about 3/4-inch thick. This is your crust!
- Bake the crust for 30 minutes or until lightly browned and firm enough to hold its shape.
- Remove the crust from the oven and top with marinara sauce, shredded mozzarella, and your choice of veggies. (I used cooked artichokes and a roasted red pepper from the can, which I drained and chopped.)
- Pop the pizza back into the oven for another 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.