The healthier, whole-wheat base in this pizza will keep your belly feeling fuller longer than typical pie. And in lieu of traditional marinara sauce, pesto is full of heart-healthy fats from olive oil and pine nuts. With all of these fresh and flavorful ingredients, forget the delivery boy—forever!
- 1 package refrigerated whole-wheat pizza dough
- 2 packed cups basil leaves
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 large clove garlic, quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Grease a pizza pan and spread dough evenly onto pan. Set aside.
- To make pesto, place basil, pine nuts, Parmesan, oil, water, garlic, salt, and pepper in a food processor. Pulse a few times, then blend until fairly smooth, occasionally scraping down the sides.
- Spread 1/4 cup pesto onto pizza dough, covering evenly. Put remaining pesto in a tightly sealed container and store in the refrigerator.
- Spread ricotta on top of pesto (it may not cover entire pizza). Sprinkle mozzarella on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbly.