Recipe: Quinoa and Vegetable Stuffed Mushrooms
This recipe and photo were created by contributor Kelli Dunn of The Corner Kitchen. Learn more about Kelli and this recipe by checking out her accompanying post, and check out her Greatist bio on our About Page!
These bite-size (vegetarian and gluten-free) hors d'oeuvres are overflowing with bright roasted red peppers and nutty quinoa, along with a touch of Parmesan cheese and fresh rosemary. Save some time by making the filling up to two days ahead of time, then pop the mushrooms in the oven about a half hour before your guests arrive. These savory bites are sure to be a hit at any party!
Recipe: Quinoa and Veggie Stuffed Mushrooms
Makes 24 mushrooms
What You'll Need:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 shallot, diced
24 button mushrooms, stems removed & finely chopped and caps set aside
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
3/4 cup roasted red peppers (about 2 peppers), diced
1/2 cup baby spinach, shredded
1/2 cup cooked quinoa
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, plus additional for topping
Fresh ground pepper
What to Do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Sautée shallot until translucent (but not browned), 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add diced mushroom stems, garlic, and rosemary, and season with salt and pepper. Cook about 5 minutes more, until juices from mushrooms have evaporated.
- Stir in the peppers, spinach, and quinoa.
- Add vinegar and cook until fully absorbed.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the Parmesan cheese. Taste and season with salt and pepper, as necessary.
- Use a small spoon to fill mushroom caps. Arrange on the baking sheet, and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm.
What's your favorite party snack? Share with us in the comments below! Maybe we'll whip up a recipe of our own to share!
You May Also Like
HEALTH SITE LIKE THIS.
Seriously, we cite every fact with a scientific study!
Once we put a Shake Weight to the test...
We help you find what healthy means to you.