It's that time of year—everything seems to be pumpkin flavored from coffee, to cookies, to oatmeal, and now waffles and pancakes! In honor of National Pumpkin Cheesecake Day (yes, that's apparently a thing) we bring you this healthier way to enjoy that tangy, sweet, and spicy pumpkin cheesecake flavor without all the calories and fat.
What You'll Need:
- 1/3 cup regular rolled oats (gluten-free if needed!)
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed (optional)
- 3 packets granulated stevia (or 2 tablespoons granulated cane sugar/coconut palm sugar)
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice blend
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional, double pumpkin pie spice if not using)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 heaping tablespoons pure pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup liquid egg whites (or 2 egg whites)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (or other milk of choice)
- 2 tablespoons light cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
What to Do:
- You can use this batter to make waffles or pancakes—decide which you'd like, and heat your waffle iron or skillet (to medium-high heat).
- In a small food processor or blender, and blend together the rolled oats, flaxseed, stevia or sugar, spices, and baking powder.
- Add in the pumpkin, egg whites, and milk, and blend again until smooth.
- Pour the batter into waffle maker (or onto a non-stick skillet).
- As the waffles are cooking, warm the honey in the microwave for 10-15 seconds, stir in the cream cheese until a smooth consistency is reached.
- When the waffles are finished cooking, pour the cream cheese sauce over them, sprinkle with cinnamon, and dig in!