As far as sangria goes, it can't get easier than this. Chop some fruit, add some flavorings, pour some wine, and enjoy! But this recipe's not just good for indulging — it has some healthy benefits, too. Drinking red wine in moderation (one drink per day for women, two for men) may help protect the heart and control cholesterol levels   . Plus both the wine and super-fruits in this rescipe are packed with antioxidants, which help protect against free radical damage. Cheers!
Recipe: Easy Holiday Sangria
What You'll Need:
1 pomegranate, seeded
1 cup fresh cranberries
1/2 cup apple vodka or apple brandy (optional)
2 small apples — one red, one green
1 1/2 bottles red wine (Cabernet or Red Zinfandel work well)
2 cups ginger ale
1-inch chunk fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 large pitcher/medium bowl (for serving)
What to Do:
- Core the apple and pear, and chop into bite-sized pieces.
- If using the apple vodka or brandy: Soak apple chunks in vodka or brandy for up to a few hours for an extra-boozy treat!
- Combine the pear, apple (soaked or not), and cranberries in the pitcher or bowl and stir to combine.
- Add pomegrante seeds, ginger chunks, and cinnamon on top.
- Add wine, and stir to combine. If you have time, let sit for 2-3 hours.
- Just before serving, add the ginger ale and stir gently to distribute.
- To serve, scoop out some fruit into each cup before filling. Enjoy!
What's your favorite holiday drink? Share with us in the comments below, or join us on Facebook!