We know: It can be pretty hard to drag yourself out of bed on a work day to make a good breakfast. But to combat laziness and keep your days on track, try making a recipe that makes several servings early in the week, then popping each serving in the microwave before heading out to face the day. This quinoa breakfast bake is a perfect example of how to do it right. Mix the flavors up by adding whatever fruit and nuts you like best.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cups frozen berries
- 1 apple or pear, peeled, cored, and chopped into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease an 8-by-8-inch square baking pan, and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together quinoa, cinnamon, and allspice to coat quinoa with spices. Pour quinoa over bottom of prepared pan.
- In the same bowl used for quinoa, beat eggs until fully mixed. Whisk in the and maple syrup, and beat to combine.
- Scatter berries, apple or pear, and nuts (if desired) evenly on top of quinoa.
- Pour egg and milk mixture over top of fruit and quinoa. Lightly stir to partially submerge fruit. (Milk mixture will cook quinoa to create a very soft texture on the inside while creating a lightly crunchy crust on the outside.)
- Bake for 1 hour, or until casserole is mostly set with only a small amount of liquid left. Serve warm, and refrigerate leftovers.