Ok … who hasn’t eaten chipped beef? It is a great comfort food that I think we all have had at one time. My mom used to make it and then I even bought the Stouffers brand when I got a taste for it.
Well I tried it at home but I wanted to add some more flavor. So, I added a little cheese, some fresh flavor with peas and herbs and this is now my favorite version.
I know it is a old classic but I still enjoy it and there are some things that just shouldn’t be changed. Even though I put my twist on it with a few slight changes, the flavor is still the same. It is inexpensive, hearty, easy and quick … and still true comfort food.
- Yield: Serves 4
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 30 minutes
- Active: 30 minutes
- 8-10 oz of dried beef, either jar or package. I used packaged of dried Buddig Beef.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon worschestire sauce
- 3/4 cup frozen baby peas
- 1 small shallot diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste (the beef is salty so don’t add much salt)
- 8 slices of provolone cheese
- 8 slices of good French or Italian bread lightly toasted
- 1 scallion dice as a garnish (I like the fresh flavor)
- First prepare you beef but cutting it into small pieces. Also dice your shallot and your scallion for a garnish. Let the peas thaw at room temperature, they do not take long.
- Make your sauce by melting butter in a medium size sauce pan on medium. Add the onion and saute for 2 minutes until slightly soft. Then add the flour to make a roux, wisk to make sure the butter, onion and flour are mixed well. Slowly add the milk until well combined. Bring to medium high until the sauce thickens, add in the cayenne, worschestire sauce, beef, peas and parsley and any additional pepper.
- Toast your bread under the broiler on each side. Add a slice of the provolone cheese and put back under until melted.
- Serve 2 slices of cheese toast topped with the chipped beef and garnish with some fresh scallions (optional). This is a great twist on a classic dish. ENJOY!