While designed to be served with Sticky Steamed Pumpkin Pudding, we also like this butterscotch sauce on ice cream or gingerbread, or even with a slice of steamed chocolate pudding.
- Yields: About 1 1/2 cups
- Total: 1 hr
- Active: 1 hr
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or heavy whipping cream
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon Scotch, brandy, or dark rum or 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Combine the butter, brown sugar, cream, and salt in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 1 hour.
- Add the Scotch, whisking until well blended and heated through. Serve warm. You may keep the sauce warm on LOW for up to 1 hour before serving. If made in advance, store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Excerpted from Not Your Mother’s Slow Cooker Recipes for Entertaining, by Beth Hensperger and Julie Kaufmann. © 2007, used by permission from The Harvard Common Press.