The existence of a weekend is reason enough to celebrate with decadent brunch, but some brunches are extra special. For those times when a brunch day is also a birthday, these pancakes are a must. Speckled with rainbow sprinkles and made in a small, stackable batch, they’re a surprise just for the birthday boy or girl.
For more festive breakfast ideas, check out our Carrot Cake Pancakes recipe or our Dutch Puff Pancake recipe.
- Yield: 1 serving
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 47 min
- Active: 37 min
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Generous pinch of salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon plus a dash of pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons confectioners’ sugar
- About 1 tablespoon clarified butter, for the pan
- 2 tablespoons multicolored jimmies, plus more for topping
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk, butter, and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla. Pour the whole mixture into the flour mixture and whisk until the wet and dry ingredients are fully incorporated. Let rest for 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the cream by hand or with a hand mixer for about 5 minutes, until it holds very soft peaks. Add the confectioners’ sugar and a dash of vanilla and beat for about 3 more minutes, until it forms slightly firmer but still spoonable soft peaks.
- In a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat, melt about half of the clarified butter.
- Just before cooking the pancakes, fold 2 tablespoons of jimmies into the batter. Spoon 2 heaping tablespoonfuls of batter into the skillet. Cook until browned around the edges, about 2 minutes. Flip the pancake and cook until browned on the other side, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate and repeat with the remaining batter, adding the rest of the butter to the pan to cook (you should have 6 small pancakes).
- Stack all of the pancakes on a plate. Top with the whipped cream, sprinkle with more jimmies, light a candle, and sing “Happy Birthday”!