Who doesn’t love a great burger? But if you’re looking to avoid red meat, this juicy, fresh grilled salmon burger is easy to make and just as hearty as its beef counterpart. It’s also filled with healthy fats like Omega-3’s, plus it’s a great vehicle to experiment with creative burger toppings such as soy rémoulade, jalapeño tartar sauce, Mango Salsa, or our Dill Pickle recipe. Try it with one of our light and easy Zucchini recipes or Swiss Chard.
This recipe was part of our feature on Salmon Burgers and 5 Tasty Ways to Top Them.
- Yield: 8 patties
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 40 mins
- 2 large eggs
- 1 medium shallot, medium dice
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped Italian parsley leaves
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seeds
- 2 pounds skinless salmon fillets, pin bones removed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil, for coating the grill
- Combine the eggs, shallot, parsley, salt, pepper, and celery seeds in a food processor fitted with a blade attachment and pulse just until combined, about 5 pulses. Add about a third of the salmon and pulse 5 times until most of the large pieces are slightly chopped. Add another third of the salmon, pulse 5 more times, then add the last third and pulse 5 times more until there are equal amounts of very small, medium, and large chunks. (Don’t overprocess—you’ll end up with tough, dry burgers.)
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and stir in the panko until thoroughly combined. Divide evenly into 8 (3-inch) patties about 1/2 inch thick (they’ll be about 1/3 to 1/2 cup each).
- Heat an outdoor grill to medium high (about 375°F to 425°F). When the grill is ready, use tongs to rub the grate with several layers of paper towels dipped in vegetable oil.
- Using a flat spatula, transfer the salmon patties to the grill, close the grill, and cook undisturbed (do not press down on the patties) until grill marks appear on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Using a clean spatula, flip the burgers, close the grill, and cook until the patties are just cooked, about 4 minutes more.
- Top with Mango Salsa; Soy Rémoulade; Roasted Garlic Aioli; Jalapeño Tartar Sauce; or Tzatziki.