Queso is usually warm and gooey, and it’s delicious that way, of course. But try the Homesick Texan’s novel spin on the dip, which mixes creamy cottage cheese with a punchy blend of jalapeños, onion, garlic, cilantro, vinegar, salt, and cumin for a little earthiness. Diced avocado underscores the cool creaminess of the dip, which is perfect for chips and raw veggies. Bonus points for being healthy and quick to throw together. Still prefer something melty? Try Spinach Queso Blanco or Indian Spiced Queso with Jalapeño Chutney.
- Yields: 6 to 8 servings
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 10 min
- Active: 10 min
- 3 jalapeños, halved and seeded
- 1/4 red onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (16-ounce) container small-curd creamed (4%) cottage cheese
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, and diced
- tortilla chips, for serving
- crudités, for serving
- Put the jalapeños, onion, garlic, cilantro, vinegar, salt, and cumin in a food processor and pulse until finely minced.
- Combine the jalapeño mixture with the cottage cheese and avocado. Taste and adjust the seasonings, if you like.
- Serve immediately with tortilla chips and crudités.
Reprinted with permission from Queso by Lisa Fain, copyright © 2017. Published by 10 Speed Press. Photograph courtesy of Aubrie Pick.