Recipe: Fresh Fig and Onion Flatbread Pizza
This recipe and photo were created by contributor Aylin Erman of Glow Kitchen. Learn more about Aylin and this recipe by checking out her accompanying post, and check out her Greatist bio on our About Page!
I'm a sucker for homemade pizzas that require little to no effort and are just a matter of finding a bread-like base and layering unique toppings. With fig season in full swing, I've been taking advantage of the bounty by using fresh figs in both sweet and savory dishes. This pizza capitalizes on the fruit's mellow sweetness by complementing it with the balsamic-glazed sauteed onions and the light and creamy garlic ricotta cheese. Served on warm flat bread and garnished with parsley and arugula, this recipe combines effortless charm with detailed composition. It's the perfect way to satisfy your hunger, your eyes, and your taste buds all at once. Enjoy!
Recipe: Fresh Fig and Balsamic Onion Flat Bread Pizza
Serves 1 alone, or 2 with a side salad.
What You'll Need:
1 multigrain flat bread (store bought or homemade, about 9 inches in diameter)
1/4 cup ricotta cheese
1 garlic clove, minced
2 fresh figs, quartered
1 medium white onion, sliced
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 handful arugula (or parsley)
What to Do:
- Warm the flat bread in the oven at 350 for about 5-10 minutes
- In a medium saucepan heat the olive oil and cook the onion over medium heat until slightly translucent.
- Once translucent, add balsamic vinegar. Mix until the vinegar is distributed evenly, and cook further until the onions are soft and the balsamic has evaporated. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the ricotta and garlic.
- Remove the flat bread from the oven and spread ricotta mixture evenly over the surface. Top with the onions, figs, and arugula.
- Cut into a few slices, and enjoy!
What's your favorite pizza topping? Share with us in the comments below
HEALTH SITE LIKE THIS.
Seriously, we cite every fact with a scientific study!
Once we put a Shake Weight to the test...
We help you find what healthy means to you.