This recipe and photo were created by contributor Kelli Dunn of The Corner Kitchen. Learn more about Kelli and this recipe by checking out her accompanying post, and check out her Greatist bio on our About Page!
If you're not familiar with Meyer lemons, here's a quick run down: They have a deep yellow, smooth, thin skin and are quite a bit sweeter and more subtle than their standard lemon kin. Mid-winter is prime Meyer lemon season. These muffins are low in sugar and swap out butter for heart-healthy olive oil.
Recipe: Healthier Meyer Lemon Chia Seed Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Add eight liners to a standard-size muffin tin and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the olive oil, sugar, yogurt, and lemon juice and zest, until fully combined. Add the egg and vanilla, and mix thoroughly.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in two additions, stirring until just combined.
- Fold in the chia seeds.
- Add batter to the muffin liners, filling 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes, until the muffins are golden on top and a toothpick comes out clean after inserting it into a few muffins.
- Remove from the oven. Cool. Enjoy immediately.
Also check out: 34 Healthy Breakfasts for Mornings on the Run