We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Greatist only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
If your workouts leave you hobbling like a cowboy after a cattle drive, you know the appeal of a deep massage and stretch sesh. But not everyone can afford regular massages. A foam roller is one of the next best remedies for tired muscles before or after hard training sessions.
These deceptively simple devices manipulate and relax the small muscles and surrounding soft tissue. Get ready for a little (*ahem* or a lotta) pain at first, but trust us: Your muscles will thank you.
Here are our picks for the best foam rollers for 2022.
9 best foam rollers
- Best foam roller overall: TriggerPoint GRID Original Foam Roller
- Best firm foam roller on a budget: LuxFit Foam Roller
- Best medium foam roller on a budget: AmazonBasics High Density Foam Roller
- Best vibrating foam roller: Lifepro 4-Speed Vibrating Foam Roller
- Best contoured foam roller: 321 Strong Foam Roller
- Best adjustable foam roller: Gimme 10 Foam Roller
- Best long foam roller: ProsourceFit High Density Full Roller
- Best foam roller set: 321 Strong 5-in-1 Foam Roller Set
- Best travel foam roller: Brazyn Morph Bravo Foam Roller
The best foam rollers have the right shape, length, and density for your skill level (and pain threshold). Don’t let the uber-dense foams and masochistic nubs scare you. Physical therapists and professional athletes alike swear by foam rollers because they work.
Here are the factors we considered when rounding up the very best foam rollers:
- Density. Foam rollers come in soft, medium (standard), and firm densities. The denser the foam, the more it digs into your muscles.
- Shape, size, and length. Different shapes target some muscle groups better than others. Foam rollers range in length from 12 to 36 inches.
- Surface texture. The standard foam roller has a smooth surface, but some rollers have contoured or nubbed surfaces to hit pressure points and dig deeper into your muscles.
- Materials. Open-cell foams are soft and easy on your muscles, but they break down more quickly than closed-cell foams like EPP and EVA. EPP tends to be more affordable yet still durable. Professionals use EVA foam rollers because they can withstand heavy daily use.
We know budget is an important part of your purchase decisions, so we’ve included the MSRP (manufacturer’s suggested retail price) for each foam roller below.
The good news is that current prices might be cheaper than the MSRP — gotta love online sales! 🤩
TriggerPoint GRID Original Foam Roller
- Multi-textured surface. The TriggerPoint Grid features 3 textures on its 13-inch surface — nubs that feel like fingertips, finger-like tubes, and a smooth palm-like surface. Bonus: It’s also available in a longer size (a whopping 26 inches!) if you have the space and need for it.
- Hollow interior. This handy feature is great for stuffing with gym clothes while traveling or simply stashing a few post-workout snacks.
- Includes free online instruction. Every purchase comes with access to free online instructional videos that show you how to target problem areas. Yes, please!
- Supports up to 500 pounds. This roller is available in both a short and a long length, and its high quality EVA foam supports a body weight of up to 500 pounds.
Considerations: Contoured foam rollers aren’t for everyone. Watch out if you’re wearing shorts or you bruise easily, as the nubs could leave marks. Reviewers say this one’s a doozy at first (go slow!) but that it’s a stellar pick for runners’ tight legs or even tense neck muscles.
LuxFit Foam Roller
- Extra-firm high density foam. Sore muscles will scream for mercy thanks to this high density roller. Well, actually, you’ll scream, but if you really want to get to those deep muscles, this is the roller for you.
- Length options. The LuxFit comes in four lengths — 12, 18, 24, and 36 inches.
- Highly durable. That extra-firm, dense foam comes with the added benefit of durability — it doesn’t break down nearly as quickly as soft or standard foams.
Considerations: Extra-firm high density foam might be too much for some people, especially beginners. Be prepared for some serious pain at first. Reviewers say that while this foam roller is nothing fancy, it gets the job done.
AmazonBasics High Density Foam Roller
- High density foam. This particular foam digs in without hurting as much as firmer foams.
- Length options. Like the LuxFit, the AmazonBasics roller comes in four lengths (12, 18, 24, and 36 inches), so you can pick a length that works for your body size and available storage space.
- More color choices. Not that we’re all about aesthetics, but it is fun to choose a model in purple, blue, black, or one of the four speckled colors.
Considerations: The seams on either side of this roller don’t always match up. Foam rolling can be uncomfortable in general, but reviewers say the seams can dig into skin in a way that’s not helpful.
Lifepro Surger 4-Speed Vibrating Foam Roller
- Four power settings. Vibration adds another dimension to rolling. This roller’s four power settings will have your muscles purring with delight as tension falls away. And reviewers love the versatility too — they say this foam roller is a great pain management tool for athletes and non-athletes alike.
- Built-in timer. No need to use a phone, a watch, or even Alexa to time your rolling.
- Excellent battery life. It takes some mondo battery power to make a roller vibrate. This model’s rechargeable batteries last 2 to 4 hours, so most people will need to charge it only every few days.
Considerations: If you live in an apartment, a vibrating foam roller could bother downstairs neighbors. And, after enough time, the batteries do run out of juice.
321 Strong Foam Roller
- Medium density. The medium-dense foam offers a gentler massage so newbies can get used to rolling. And because this roller has more than 26,000 reviews (and an average of 4.5 out of 5 stars), you practically know the density will be just right to loosen and soothe tired muscles.
- Color options. So many colors! Spice up your cooldown with a fun pink, green, or orange or one of many other colors.
- Includes instructional e-book. Rolling your quads, hamstrings, and calves doesn’t take much imagination, but what about your obliques, gluteus minimus, and inner thighs? A little instruction can do wonders for the effectiveness on your stretching and flexibility.
Considerations: This model has both nubs and channels, but the transition between the two might put you on a surface that’s either too rough or not rough enough.
Gimme 10 Foam Roller
- Two for one. A removable EPP foam core lets you adjust the firmness from standard to firm — it’s like two rollers in one. Plus, that hollow core is a good size for stashing an extra set of workout clothes when you’re on the road.
- Contoured surface. Some research suggests that contoured rollers offer stronger post-workout recovery results than smooth rollers, so use those nubs to dig into your sore muscles.
- Compact and lightweight. At only 12 inches long, this foam roller is fairly portable. It won’t take up much room in your suitcase and adds only about 1.5 pounds.
Considerations: This isn’t the best model for beginners. Reviewers say it’s painful, especially if you’re not accustomed to targeting pressure points. Start with slow, gentle pressure — and always avoid rolling your joints!
ProsourceFit High Density Full Roller
- Extra length = more versatility. Long rollers allow you to roll out a bigger surface area, like your back or both legs at once.
- Firm, high density foam. The EPP foam holds its shape even after heavy use.
- Surface traction. Surface traction (not contours or texture) helps this roller maintain a grip while rolling.
Considerations: This model comes in three lengths and has a half-cylinder shape option. If you don’t have room for a long roller, one of the shorter options might work. Regardless of which you choose, reviewers say this simple foam roller offers relief for all sorts of muscle pains.
321 Strong 5-in-1 Foam Roller Set
- Multiple tools to target problem areas. This set includes a stretch strap, a massage stick, a double lacrosse peanut, and a plantar fasciitis ball to tackle aches, pains, and everything in between.
- Storage. Worried about keeping everything together? An end cap lets you store the other items inside the hollow foam roller.
- Includes instruction. An instructional e-book gives you exercises to get started.
Considerations: While some reviewers love the extra tools, others say this hollow roller flexes under pressure. It might not perform as well for people weighing more than 150 pounds.
Brazyn Morph Bravo Foam Roller
- Two density options. Go for medium density with the Alpha or firm density with the Bravo.
- Packs flat and pops open. Pull to collapse, and push to open. Roll out while you travel, on your lunch break, or at the gym.
- High maximum weight. It may be collapsible, but it’s strong enough to support 350 pounds.
Considerations: The Brazyn Morph is pricey for a 14-inch roller, but many reviewers say this textured, light, durable tool is worth the price for those who need to roll on the go.
A foam roller is a supersimple workout tool that allows you to manually apply rolling pressure to sore, tight muscles. Whether you’re a yogi, runner, or weightlifter, a foam roller can help soothe pre- or post-workout kinks.
It might take a bit of trial and error to find the perfect foam roller for your needs. Consider density, weight limit, size, and surface texture while you shop around. Then enjoy the sweet, sweet relief of your next rolling session.