Infused with warm spices, this simple syrup adds wintry cheer to anything it tops. Try it on citrus fruits for a winter fruit salad or in this Spiced Cranberry Sangría by Chef Jose Garces of Amada restaurant in Philadelphia.Adapted from Jose Garces
- Yield: 2 3/4 cups
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 10 mins, plus cooling time
- Active: Under 5 mins
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 (3-inch) cinnamon sticks
- 8 allspice berries
- 6 cloves
- 3 whole star anise pods
- Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and let cool until lukewarm. Strain syrup through a fine mesh strainer into a heatproof airtight container and discard spices.
- Cover and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.