A perennial favorite on menus, we take shrimp scampi and put it in a brioche bun for a new twist on an old classic. This sandwich features juicy plump sautéed shrimp in a rich butter, garlic, and white wine sauce with lovely lemon slices. It takes less than 30 minutes to put this wonderful sandwich together, a meal that is definitely kid-friendly.
- Yield: 4 servings
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 30 mins
- Active: 15 mins
- 1 pound frozen shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper, freshly ground
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup white wine or broth
- 1 lemon, sliced
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Brioche buns
- Put frozen shrimp in a bowl of cold water and let them defrost for about 10-15 minutes. Peel shells off of shrimp and set shrimp aside on paper towels to dry. Season lightly with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- In a large sauté pan, melt butter in olive oil over medium-high heat. Carefully add in peeled shrimp to sauté pan and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove shrimp from pan, set aside on a plate, and keep warm.
- Add minced garlic to sauté pan and cook for 2 minutes until fragrant. Add white wine to sauté pan and bring to a simmer. Cook until white wine has reduced by about half. Add in lemon slices, chopped parsley, shrimp, red pepper flakes, and toss together. Season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Slice brioche buns down the top. Stuff the buns with the shrimp and spoon the sauce over the shrimp. Serve immediately.