With premade pizza dough, these fritters come together in less than an hour. Served warm, they’re the perfect after-school snack for special occasions, or as a donut alternative for an otherwise boring brunch.
What to buy: We designed these around premade pizza dough, available bagged in 14- or 16-ounce portions at well-stocked groceries. If you’d like to make your own, you’ll need two-thirds of our Basic Pizza Dough recipe.
Special equipment: You’ll need a candy/fat thermometer for frying.
Game plan: When deep-frying the fritters, make sure the oil stays at a constant temperature, adjusting your stove’s heat as necessary.
This recipe was featured as part of our Turn Store-Bought Pizza Dough Into Sweet Treats! project.
- Yield: 12 fritters
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 15 mins, plus 30 mins rising time
- 14 to 16 ounces pizza dough
- Flour, for dusting the work surface
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup jam or jelly
- 2 quarts vegetable oil
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside. Place the dough on a lightly floured work surface and roll it out to about 1/4 inch thick. With a sharp knife, cut the dough into a dozen 1-1/2-by-3-inch rectangles.
- Put a dab of peanut butter and a dab of jam in the center of each rectangle, then fold and seal the edges.
- Transfer the uncooked fritters to the prepared baking sheet and cover loosely with plastic wrap or a damp towel. Let them rise in a warm place until puffy and about 1/2 inch thick, about 30 minutes.
- Place the oil in a Dutch oven or a large, heavy-bottomed pot and set it over medium heat until the temperature reaches 365°F on a candy/fat thermometer. Line a second baking sheet with a double layer of paper towels; set aside.
- When the oil is ready, add 4 of the fritters and fry until golden brown, flipping halfway through, about 2 minutes total. Using a slotted spoon, remove the fritters to the paper towel–lined baking sheet. Add 4 more uncooked fritters to the oil. Repeat with the remaining 4 fritters. Dust with powdered sugar and serve warm.