These flavorful vegetarian tacos are filled with savory mushrooms, spicy poblano peppers, and sweet onions. A variety of garnishes make this a fun hands-on meal.
What to buy: Queso fresco is a mild white cheese that doesn’t melt when heated. It can be found in the refrigerated cheese case of most grocery stores or at specialty cheese shops or Latin markets.
- Yields: 8 tacos
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 15 mins
- Active: 15 mins
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 fresh poblano or pasilla chile, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch-thick strips
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick strips
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 pound portobello mushrooms, cleaned and sliced into 1/4-inch-wide strips
- 1 medium Roma tomato, medium dice
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 8 (5-1/2-inch) corn tortillas, warmed
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco
- 1 medium avocado, thinly sliced
- Pickled Jalapeños or Pickled Red Onions (see Game Plan note)
- Lime wedges
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat until shimmering. Add cumin and oregano and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add chile, onion, garlic, and 1 teaspoon of the salt and cook until onion is tender, about 7 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are browned and tender, about 6 minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat and stir in tomato, cilantro, and lime juice. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Divide mixture among tortillas and serve with optional garnishes.